Our Athletic Program focuses on skill development, providing strategic knowledge and teaching the rules of each sport. The goal is to prepare student-athletes for high school sports and beyond, as well as to instill valuable team building and camaraderie into our students’ educational experience. The Cushman School believes that all students should have the opportunity to contribute to a team regardless of their individual skill level, so our Athletic Program has a no-cut policy.
We recently expanded our sports offerings to younger student-athletes by introducing the Cushman Athletic Development (CAD) program. Designed for kindergarteners through fifth graders, CAD is a complement to the existing after school athletics that starts in fifth grade. It offers basketball and soccer intramurals, along with flag-football, basketball, baseball, soccer, and volleyball instructional academies.
Check out some of our Cushman Alumni Athletes:
1. Cushman 2004 graduate Monica Burgos went on to Harvard as a nationally ranked All American swimmer.
2. Named #45 overall recruit in the 2013 recruiting class by ESPN 150, Joey Bosa graduated Cushman in 2009, went on to play football at St. Thomas Acquinas and he’s confirmed to play at Ohio State next fall after choosing from 11 extended offers.
3. 2006 Cushman graduate, Nick Castellanos, was awarded minor league MVP this past year while playing baseball for the Detroit Tigers. In 2010, Nick was the Gatorade Florida Baseball Player of the Year and the 44th overall selection in the Major League Baseball Draft.
4. Nick’s brother Ryan Castellanos received a baseball scholarship to play at the University of Illinois.
5. From the graduating class of 2002, Sarah Newberry is currently on the US Development Sailing Team training for the 2016 Olympics in Rio de Janeiro.
The Cushman School is also a member of the South Florida Middle School Conference (SFMSC), which is a Middle School league that competes with other member schools during the regular season culminating with championship tournaments.
Members of the SFMSC include:
Dade Christian School
Florida Christian School
Miami Country Day School
The Cushman School
Ransom Everglades School