Once a Cougar, always a Cougar.
Once your become a part of our special Cushman family, you will always be a part of our family. Our alumni our integral part of our community.
As a Cushman Alum, you are and know what makes our community special.
Dr. Cushman’s teachings, philosophy for life were way ahead of her time. A true visionary and leader, she understood the importance of self-worth, lifelong learning, and empathy in the classroom, and in business. You are the testament of how her teaching style transcends time and industry, and we are fortunate that you are a part of our Family.
Whether you’re a recent,or former graduate, The Cushman School provides several ways for you to stay engaged with your Cushman family. Explore our programming and resources for Cougar alumni below.
We would love to remain connected and engaged with all of our alumni. Join one of our groups, share your accomplishments, and keep us up to date on the best way to reach you.
Let us know what you are up to!
Follow us on Social Media
At Cushman we also give our alumni many different opportunities to get involved. You can join our Cushman Alumni Board, mentor fellow Cougars, come speak at our Career days, give one of our Cushman High students an internship, or form a part of our Cushman Business Directory. To learn more about the different activities above please contact the following members of our team.
A direct way you can make an impact is by supporting one of the many different fundraising initiatives at Cushman. From scholarships to our annual campaign, The Cushman Fund, any contribution helps us continue to spread the Cushman magic. Check out our Cushman Giving Handbook
to learn about the different ways you can contribute.
- Cushman Alumni Lunch: Join us for our Cushman Alumni Lunch, this coming November 23, 2020. RSVP here.
- Founders Day:On Founder's Day (Nov. 1st/Dr. Cushman's birthday), a group of alumni return to campus and speak to current students. There's no greater testament to Dr. Cushman's legacy and the quality of a Cushman education than the diverse and impressive accomplishments of our alumni.
- Alumni & Career Day: some of our alumni are invited to speak to our High School students about how the endeavors of Industry, Courtesy and Responsibility contributed to their success. See who spoke at the most recent event.
- Matthew B. Beatty, M.B.A. '95 Matthew graduated from Cushman in 1995. He went onto Ransom and the Professional MBA Program at Florida A&M University, where he earned his B.S. in management (cum laude), and a Master of Business Administration with a concentration in marketing. Matthew has served as the communications director for Sonshine Communications, Florida’s largest African-American marketing communications firm. He also led the account team for The Shaw Group, a Fortune 500 energy infrastructure firm that hired Sonshine to assist with PR outreach after the devastating Deepwater Horizon oil spill. In 2012, Matthew took his current position as Senior Director of Communications and Engagement for The Miami Foundation, Greater Miami’s $200 million endowed community foundation. Since joining The Miami Foundation, Matthew has developed the communications strategy for Give Miami Day, contributing to more than doubling the dollars raised during the most active day of philanthropic giving in South Florida history: $14.4 million in 2019. In 2011, Matthew was recognized by Legacy magazine of The Miami Herald as one of South Florida’s Top 40 Under 40 Black Leaders of Tomorrow.
- Dr. Stephanie Lutton Carey '85 Dr. Carey graduated from the University of Florida with a degree in Engineering Science. She earned her master’s degree in Biomedical Engineering from UM. She received her Ph.D. in Biomedical Engineering from the University of South Florida. Dr. Carey worked for 8 years at the Miami Project to Cure Paralysis as a research associate studying gait therapy of persons with spinal cord injuries. She also worked in Denver for 3 years as a systems engineer and customer trainer for Peak Performance Technologies, a motion capture system company. Currently, Dr. Carey is an assistant research professor at the University of South Florida's Department of Mechanical Engineering. She is also a researcher at the Tampa Center of Excellence. Dr. Carey is the research coordinator for USF’s Center for Assistive, Rehabilitation and Robotics Technologies and is involved with various studies that include prosthetic design testing, adaptive recreation, virtual reality for rehabilitation and astronaut training. Dr. Carey also teaches Foundations of Engineering and Bioastronautics at USF.
- Judge Marni Bryson '86 After college at the University of Florida, Judge Bryson graduated from Nova Southeastern School of Law and began her legal career in 2001 doing appellate work for the Office of the Florida Attorney General. She practiced in the Third and Fourth District Courts of Appeal as well as the Supreme Court of Florida. Later she served as an Assistant Public Defender in the County and Felony Divisions of the 15th Judicial Circuit, trying over 50 jury trials on a wide range of cases that included life felonies. After leaving the Office of the Public Defender, she spent time in the private sector practicing complex civil litigation. In 2007, she returned to the Office of the Florida Attorney General. As an Assistant Attorney General, she was responsible for prosecuting healthcare fraud throughout five Florida counties. Judge Bryson was elected to the court in 2010 and currently serves in the criminal division of Palm Beach County Court.
- Mrs. Cynthia Fike Mitchell '02 After attending Flagler College, Mrs. Mitchell received her master’s degree in Language Arts Education from the University of Central Florida. She has completed her coursework towards a Ph.D. in Texts and Technology. Mrs. Mitchell has taught seventh and eighth grade Language Arts for the last nine years. She has also taught Creative Writing and is a National Writing Project teacher consultant, department chair and team leader. Mrs. Mitchell was voted Teacher of the Year in 2011. In 2011, she was also a finalist in the Barnes and Noble Favorite Teacher contest.
- Ms. Sarah Newberry '02 After Cushman, Ms. Newberry attended DASH and graduated from New College with a Fina Arts degree. Ms. Newberry has enjoyed sailing all her life. Since she won the United States Youth Multihull Championship in 2006, Ms. Newberry has been pushing to join the ranks of the best multihull sailors in the world. In the past year, she has won the United States Olympic Development Team Qualifier, several National Championships, the ISAF World Cup Miami and the Nacra 17 North American Championship. Last year, she began a full time campaign for the 2016 Olympic Games in Rio de Janeiro, Brazil, in the mixed-gender multihull class. Newberry has also set records as the first woman driver to win the United States Multihull Championship.
- Ms. Marlene Fernandez '92 After Cushman, Ms. Fernandez attended Ransom Everglades School through the 10th grade and then she went on to graduate from Immaculata La Salle High School. She attended the University of Central Florida where she earned a degree in Biomedical Sciences. Ms. Fernandez is currently attending Nova Southeastern University College of Osteopathic Medicine. Between graduating from college and starting medical school, Ms. Fernandez took a year off from school and volunteered at Miami Children’s Hospital logging more than 1,000 volunteer hours, from tutoring children through the Summerbridge Program, to a toy drive and carnival for children from Little Haiti.
Some additional alumni we've honored also include:
- Honored on November 1, 2012, as the year’s most distinguished Alumna, Victoria Beatty graduated The Cushman School in 1994. She went to Spelman College and received her law degree from Howard University. Ms. Beatty is an Associate at Broad and Cassel Law Firm. She also serves as pro bono legal counsel to the Belafonte Tacolcy Center of Liberty City and has assisted pro bono at the Miami Workers Center and the Small Claims Clinic. Victoria is also a proud volunteer of Jack & Jill of Broward County. She was recently honored as one of the 2012 “40 Under 40 Leaders of Today and Tomorrow” by Legacy Magazine.
- Named #45 overall recruit in the 2013 recruiting class by ESPN 150, Joey Bosa graduated Cushman in 2009, went on to play football at St. Thomas Acquinas and he’s confirmed to play at Ohio State next fall after choosing from 11 extended offers.
- Nick Castellanos was the first inductee into The Cushman School’s Athletic Hall of Fame last year in September 2011. The 2006 Cushman graduate, Nick Castellanos, was awarded minor league MVP this past year while playing baseball for the Detroit Tigers. In 2010, Nick was the Gatorade Florida Baseball Player of the Year and the 44th overall selection in the Major League Baseball Draft.
- South Florida’s own fashion designer, Esteban Cortazar, was a graduate of The Cushman School where he completed his first collection at age 13 for a talent show on campus. He then went onto DASH and made his New York Fashion Week debut at age 18 in 2002. Since then he has dressed the likes of Eva Longoria, Shakira, Mariah Carey, Paris Hilton, Kim Cattrall, Ashanti and Beyonce. In 2005 Cindy Crawford briefly came out retirement to walk in his New York Fashion Week runway show. Today his highly anticipated clothing line is available exclusively at NET-A-PORTER.COM.
- Following in her parents’ footsteps, 16-year-old Emily Estefan graduated from The Cushman School in 2008. She has become an accomplished musician and is a featured guitarist in the song titled “On” from Gloria Estefan’s newest album.
Here are where our students attend school after they graduate.
Cushman Graduates’ High School Attendance:
- Academy of Arts and Minds
- Admiral Farragut Military Academy
- American Heritage School
- Archbishop Curley Notre-Dame
- Belen Jesuit
- Blue Ridge
- Christ Church School(boarding):
- Christ School (boarding):
- Christopher Columbus
- Coral Gables Senior High - IB Program
- Dade Christian
- Doctor's Charter School
- Gulliver Prep
- Hebrew Academy
- International Studies Charter School
- Michael KROP
- LakeField Boarding School
- MAST Academy
- Miami Arts Charter
- Miami Beach Senior High
- Miami Beach Senior High-Scholars Program
- Miami Christian School
- Miami Country Day School
- New World for the Performing Arts
- Palmer Trinity
- Palmetto Senior High School
- Prunell Boarding School
- Ransom Everglades
- School House Prep
- St. Andrews Boarding School
- St. Brendan's
- St. Thomas Acquinas
- St. Timothy's Boarding School
- Vanguard Boarding School
- Young Men's Prep
Cushman Graduates’ Acceptances into College Include:
- Amherst Colleg
- Barry University
- Berklee College of Music
- Boston College
- Bowdoin College
- Brown University
- Colgate University
- Duke University
- Emerson College
- Emory University
- Florida Atlantic University
- Florida International University
- Florida State University
- George Washington University
- Georgetown University
- Harvard University
- University of Delaware
- University of Arkansas
- John Cabot University
- Johns Hopkins University
- Johnson & Wales University
- Middlebury College
- New York University
- Princeton University
- Roosevelt University
- Sacred Heart University
- University of California Santa Barbara
- University of Central Florida
- University of Florida
- University of Hawaii
- University of Maryland
- University of Miami
- University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill
- University of Pennsylvania
- Valencia, Wake Forest
- Washington University
- Wellesley College
- West Point
- West Virginia University
- Yale University